Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Grandma and me

My grandpa passed away a little over a month ago and for a long time afterwards I missed my grandma who passed away 11 1/2 years ago! Weirly enough, I was at peace and happy that my grandpa was with Grandma again and was excited for him. But I still missed Grandma. I should wait until her birthday to do a post honoring her, but I can't wait that long.
This is one of my favorite pictures of Grandma and one day I'll get a copy!
( I have used this picture in YW lessons over the years when the lesson calls for a picture of a 15 year old young woman. I think it's more fun to see old pictures of people that I know than to look at the pictures circa 1980 in the back of the manual.)
Grandma and Grandpa
Grandpa was a dairy farmer so here's a candid picture of Grandma pouring milk into a pitcher
Grandma and Grandpa were really in love and I love love love this picture of them cause it shows how much they loved eachother and how happy they were, and I'm positive are still!
I sure hope that my grandchildren know and remember that Mike and I are very much in love and will see that by the pictures that we have taken.
As I have been thinking about my grandma and my grandparents-all of them-I realized that I have lots of traits that I'm sure were passed on by them. Here are a few that I want to remember:
From the Lott side-
*Grandma's height-or lack thereof, though I am taller than she ever was
*Grandpa's stubborness-though I know there are some in my family who got more than I did
From Grandpa Callister-
*I found out at Grandpa's funeral that he always got emotional when he saw the American flag and I can't sing "The Star Spangled Banner" without crying. The fly over at Stadium of Fire makes me bawl.
From Grandma Callister-
(This is where my title comes into play cause I have felt like I am more like her than any other grandparent)
*Her struggle with her weight-I didn't know this about her until Grandpa's funeral (thanks Uncle Seth)
*I always remember my grandma smiling and laughing and I strive to be just like her in that aspect
*I was due on her birthday!!
*I know I didn't get my wide feet from the Lott side cause my mom has feet like me and I remember Grandma's being the same too
*I can see that my nose looks kind of like hers
*I was lucky enough to get her moss agate ring that she always wore on her pinky. It only fits my pinky and I've thought about sizing it to fit another finger, but don't think I will cause that's the way she wore it!
I know there are more similarities but I just can't think of them or I'm just not old enough to see them yet!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Fun pics! And I agree with you. I had a lot harder time with the reality of Grandma really being gone when Grandpa passed. That hit me pretty hard. I think it is because Grandma was still around since Grandpa was.

Grandma Grace said...

A nice tribute to them both.
GG

Catherine said...

What a special post! I agree you and Melody about missing Grandma even more after Grandpa passed. She really was an amazing lady. Thanks for sharing these pics. I have never seen that last one of the happy couple. Oh how I love our grandparents!

Dual Antithetical said...

Very nice, makes me miss my grandparents who have been gone for awhile and who I think of far too little.
JB

Julie said...

I also got Grandpa's crying easily gene. But it only strikes me when I least expect it!
I think that Grandma would be proud of how musical you are. I'm not sure why, but that seems like something that was important to her.
I was sad about Grandma too at Grandpa's funeral - I hadn't thought of it the way Melody said it, but that makes sense. Now that Grandpa is gone, so are many of the things that tied us to Grandma. It was very sad for me to see their house and know it would never be their house again.