Tuesday, January 27, 2009

FHE with a 3 year old

We've been trying, and doing pretty well, at having FHE with Ethan every Monday night. Now that Mike is home by 5:30, we usually have dinner and can have it all cleaned up and start FHE by 6:30. ("House" comes on at 7 so we have to be done by then so Mike and I can watch!) Last night was my night to teach the lesson. I usually go through the Friend and pull a story out of there. The first message in the magazine from a memeber of the first presidency and the sharing time lessons are great too. They are short, easy, and make for a good lesson for my 3 year old who has no attention span. Last night I looked at the sharing time message and thought it would tie the last two weeks' lessons together very nicely. Well, we started by singing "I Am a Child of God" at Ethan's request, but he wouldn't sing, we had a prayer and then Ethan was all over the living room. He didn't want to sit still, he didn't want to sit on the couch, which he usually does for FHE, he didn't want to be anywhere near me or Mike. We had to have a chat with him about FHE and that we would love to have him join us but it was his decision. When he still showed no interest, we told him he could go to his room to play with his toys while Mom and Dad had FHE or he could sit on the couch with us and join us. He was sent to his room because he really didn't want anything to do with FHE. He cried and cried and Mike talked to him about it and guess what? He made the choice to come join us for FHE. We were very excited that he made that decision. (I know he'd rather be playing with toys.) And I swear that neither Mike nor I tried bribery or guilt or anything like that to get him to join us. We both made it very clear that it was his decision. We had a great lesson, he participated, and he even picked the closing song, and sang the whole thing. He even picked a second song and sang it and did the actions. After FHE, we made cookies and they were yummy. I'm very glad that Ethan made the right decision to join us for FHE and I really hope that he continues to make those right decisions. (ie going to church on Sunday, but don't get me started on that rant!)

1 comment:

Grandma Grace said...

The new nursery manual has a lot of cute lessons and pictures and things for the kids to make.
Just don't give up. One night we had a lesson on sitting still in church. We lined up little chairs and made the kids sit in them. But remember the treat is always the best. We were told this once by a visiting general authority.
GG