Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Birthday celebration

Mike and I had to be greeters at the adult session of stake conference on Saturday night so we didn't have cake and ice cream on Ethan's birthday. We waited until the next night when we were at my parents' house. This is Ethan's t-rex cake I made. Mike and Ethan helped decorate it.
Ethan was not patient enough for cake, he really wanted to dig into the presents.
Ever since my oldest cousin turned 3, my grandma made all her grandchildren who turned 3 a nap quilt for their birthday. I got a really great one that I still love and can only use when I am at my mom's house because it is tattered and embarrasses Mike to have in our house. My mom has carried on this tradition with her grandchildren. When Meg turned 3 six months ago, Mom asked Ethan what color blanket he wanted, he said green. This is the result--
I love it and so does Ethan. Thanks Mom!
Somehow we were able to get Ethan to the cake to blow out his candles. He never did even eat any cake at all. It's really good, I may go have some for breakfast.


7 comments:

Julie said...

Jef calls my blanket "the abomination" because it is so tattered. I still love it. I'm glad our mom's carry on the tradition.

Kristen said...

I have been waiting to see the pics of the blanket. It looks cute. Good job mom.

B Flat Major said...

I had a blanket from my childhood that was in tatters and rags, and in a fit of stupidity when I was 16, it went in the trash. I wish I still had it now, if for nothing else but to show it to my children and endure teasing about it from my husband. It even had a name: My Girl Blanket. (It had pictures of Holly Hobbie on it.)

Janae&DonovanLott said...

Sweet quilt for Ethan. Jyllian is so looking forward to hers in December and wants it to be either black or Gator blue & orange...um, maybe she would prefer pink, but I still like the aforementioned choices better.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the birthday cake!I'm glad your mom made him a three year old blanket. My mom does it too. It made me a little sad seeing his blanket because my quilt got ruined in our flood.

Audrey said...

WOW what a cool tradition! Kitty made Daws a cool T-rex blanket when he was younger that he still adores! When she gets back I need to put in an order for Coley!
Karen, you did an amazing job on the cake!! I am impressed and can't show Dawson the picture or he will realize how much his mom sucks!
Daws didn't get any dino's this year because he has so many I couldn't find one that was cool that he didnt' already have! Which actually we need to bring Ethan some that we are getting rid of (if he would like them)
When I realized that Ethan's birthday was the only day we would be in Orem, I didn't call! I didn't want to bug on his day and be annoying!
Looks like he had a GREAT day!
Oh and great job on the inlaws and the dino quilt! SUPER cute!

Jessica said...

What a cute cake and what a fun birthday. I have been catching up. We have been out of town and then our computer went down and had to be wiped. I am trying to get caught up!