Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sleeping with Mom and Dad

Again, a crazy windy night. (And for those of you who are wondering, yes, my dumb, crappy shed blew over again. Though this time, it blew completely over and landed right-side up, in the corner of our backyard! I'm anxiously waiting for my neighbors to call at 3 AM and advise us to get rid of our shed.) I don't know if the wind was keeping Ethan up or if he was just not sleeping well. I was almost asleep when I felt a thud next to me and between me and Mike. It was Ethan. He'd gotten up and made his way to our room and Mike plopped him in bed with the two of us. He was pretty scared and I don't blame him. The wind was loud and it was scaring me a bit too. Sorry to all of you who do this, but I am really opposed to kids sleeping with Mom and Dad, UNLESS they are scared, and then it's just until they fall asleep. (I was too lazy and tired to go put Ethan back in bed and try to get him back to sleep.) The last time Ethan was in bed with us was the morning after we got home from the hospital. He woke up and I was too tired to get up, so I grabed him from the cradle, right next to me, and put him between me and Mike. I know I sleep better, and Mike does too, and I know Ethan does too, when we are all sleeping in our own beds. The good that came out of this was a few good laughs early early in the morning, and when the wind picked up, I felt Ethan burrow his head into me and it felt nice. Almost like I was protecting him. He did finally get to sleep and I put him back in his bed, and he stayed there for the rest of the night.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

It's fun to hear how your tough little guy was so tender and sweet and snuggling into you. Mommies can make all the bad things go away. At least my kids believe that, and I still do too!

Anne and Wayne said...

Karen, Your dad says he has some big spikes that should anchor your shed down so it won't blow over any more. Let him know when you want them.